Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Tuesday Night's Simple Dinner



Ok, tonight I could cheat a little because Tuesday night is date night in my house. So while the hubby and I get to go out for dinner, I make a homemade, but very quick and simple dinner of soup and salad for the kids. This soup is so incredibly simple, but there are so many ways you could dress it up. The original recipe is from my grandmother and I loved it as a kid and an adult. My kids love it and I serve it to them on the plain side. But you could add some fresh chopped chives or basil at the end or if you're not avoiding dairy, shredded cheese is a nice addition. I like a little hot sauce. The options are really endless.

TOMATO RICE SOUP

2 - 28 oz cans chopped or whole tomatoes
1 small onion, chopped
2 T butter or olive oil
3-4 cups water
3/4 cup rice
salt & pepper to taste

Heat butter or olive oil in large sauce pan and add onions. Let onions cook until just translucent. Add both cans of tomatoes and 3-4 cups water. Bring to a boil. Add rice, cover and simmer for 20-25 min. Add salt and pepper and any other garnish you wish.


QUICK KIDS SIDE SALAD

chopped romaine
baby carrots
chopped red bell pepper
chopped cucumbers
cherry tomatoes

Mix it all together and add salad dressing of your choice. My kids are partial to Newman's Light Balsamic

That's a quick, easy, and healthy kids dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment